The Broke and the Bookish and is a chance for everyone to get to know fellow bloggers and share lists. I love lists. Every week is a different list.
This week is Top Ten Things That Should be in UKYA.
The lovelies over at The Broke and the Bookish have declared today's list a freebie, where you can pick what you want. So mine is a kind of wish list of things I'd love to see in books. I know there are some books that do have these subjects, but I need more! So if you know any, please spill the beans!
- Failing ExamsI failed mine, it wasn't the end of the world. I still got into university, I still got an amazing job. But I read about characters who are "doomed" because the got AAB instead of AAA. It's just not realistic.
- PeriodsThey're things, people. They happen to most women. And almost every female character somehow manages their life without them..?
- Being OverweightSo many protagonists are slender and toned or have a perfect hourglass figure... I want to read about chubs like me.
- School BulliesThey seem to be a theme in only younger YA or MG books, but I was bullied until I left school at 18, it's a thing and it happens.
- Mental HealthThere was a huge UKYA Chat about this last week so it's pretty fresh in my mind, but reading about MH issues helps in bother understanding and treating.
- Social MediaIt's a thing. It's a huge thing. And I don't think enough books acknowledge that.
- Getting DrunkIt's a general trope that guys can chill and have a beer, but the second a girl sniffs some cider she's pissed and acting OOC. This is not OK.
- Being PoorBut, you know, actually poor. Living hand to mouth. Eating instant noodles for dinner every day. Wearing hand-me-downs from older siblings/cousins/neighbours. Not "boo, we're so poor, but look, Granny bought me a Tiffany necklace!" poor.
- CrimeI don't want it to be glorified, I'd love a bad-things-happen-if-you're-bad book that has actual repercussions and the bad boy isn't the handsome one who gets the girl. Who would want to actually be with a tosser, really?
- Body ProblemsAcne and painful boobs and wide hips. Shaving legs and armpits. Hard-ons at inappropriate times. Bum fluff on chins. All of the gross stuff that happens in real life but not in books.
What would you like to see more of in a UKYA book?