This week is Top Ten Things That Will Make Me Instantly NOT Want To Read A Book.
- HypeSometimes if a book is really super hyped it puts me off - what if I'm disappointed?
- Ugly CoverI can't help it, I'm shallow and like pretty things.
- Badly Behaving AuthorSometimes an author will say or do something and I'm like NOPE. Sometimes it's not even a big, bad thing.
- Sci-FiThe thing is, I actually like sci-fi, I just think that I don't. It's like it's ingrained in my head that I don't like it even when dystopian fiction is my auto-buy.
- Time TravelI just over think it to the extent that I don't enjoy the story itself. I think I've only liked one or two time travel stories and I've tried hundreds.
All 5 Star ReviewsI get that some books are awesome and amazing, but if a book only has five star reviews then I'm instantly suspicious. Not everyone likes everything.
- Cookie Cutter Fantasy
After a while, reading the same thing again is just boring and predictable. I want a different take, something unique!
I actually love books that explore religion, but when it's preachy and shoved down my throat then no thanks.
When a book hasn't been out for a month and there are spoilers everywhere I probably won't bother. And yes, I'm looking at you Sarah J Maas and Leigh Bardugo fandoms because they are the worst at this.
- Pretty Dresses
I love the look of those books with the great big beautiful dresses on the cover, but honestly? 90% of the time I am disappointed when I actually pick it up, so generally I just look at the pretty and move on.